Search This Blog

Friday, August 9, 2019

A very detailed and recent testimonial from a 5-yr Awareness Through Movement student.

IF YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT COMING TO THE FELDENKRAIS WORKSHOP ON SUNDAY, AUG. 11 (11:30-3pm) AT THE RENO BUDDHIST CENTER, THIS MAY HELP YOU DECIDE WHY YOU MIGHT WANT TO. 

Reprinted with permission.  Reasons you may want to learn about the Feldenkrais Method of Somatic Movement Improvement. 

Hi Carole,

As I mentioned yesterday in our telephone call, the changes that have occurred in my body and mind since Monday, when I had my second Functional Integration session with you, are nothing short of astounding. I keep expecting the discomfort that I have experienced for the past 20 years to return, but so far it hasn't!  I am so grateful.

When I think about it, it was 
the distinctions you have developed over the past 10+ years as a Feldenkrais practitioner that provided me with the insight to make a few small, yet powerful changes in the way I stand, walk and hold my upper body.  I am amazed at what making these small changes along with awareness has impacted my life.  
I now find it uncomfortable to walk and stand the way I have for what seems like all of my life.  The true test was today when I attended the Library Sale.  Invariably I wait outside for the doors to open for at least an hour or more, either sitting on the ground or standing.  Once inside it usually only takes 10-15 minutes before my back starts to really bother me.  In fact, it is usually the rate limiting step to how long I stay at the sale.  

Today, being mindful of how I was standing and walking, I was able to stay as long as I wanted, nearly an hour, which was to my benefit as I was able to really go through the shelves of the subjects I enjoy reading.  By the time I returned to my car with a box full of books, I had no pain at all.  It was truly miraculous.

After I left the sale, I went to Macy's to meet with an old high school classmate who works there.  I stood at the counter visiting with her for just under one hour, and again, no discomfort.  I'm still amazed.  I don't think this is an anomaly - I really think my new awareness of how I stand and walk is becoming ingrained - and why not?  The results are so profound why wouldn't I keep this up?  I'm still modifying how I hold my right leg and foot on the gas pedal in the car, as I can now see how my old habit of driving was contributing to the problem I was having.  I also sit in chairs differently as you pointed out.  Everything has changed and I'm optimistic it will continue.

Thank you for such an amazing gift!
Sue