Search This Blog

Friday, December 7, 2018

The incredible importance of your feet, in balance, wellbeing and alleviating hip and shoulder pain


The feet are our skeletal foundation and their connection to ankles, knees, hips and entire skeleton is fundamental to relieving back pain, from low back to shoulder pain, to neck pain. The reverse is also true. Everything works together. The feet and ankles support the posture of the rest of the body, so once you gain access and movement to the bones in your feet, you open the door to improvement throughout your skeleton.

There are many Feldenkrais Method® lessons that involve the toes and feet. I've taught a few this year in my Awareness Through Movement classes®, and have done several with my practitioners class in the morning--but until yesterday I had trouble getting my fingers between my toes, much less my toes between my toes!


Here are a few pictures of the recent lesson my Feldenkrais colleagues and I did together in our daily morning class (7 days a week, rain, shine or snow!). You can see fingers and toes between my toes!

We meet on ZOOM and do lessons together, then spend another half hour to an hour dissecting the lesson, exploring all elements and applications.  These pictures, I think, illustrate how we can be playful as we improve our range of movement, skeletal organization, and sense of self by doing non-habitual movements, and as this lesson shows, in lots of unusual ways.

If you want more information about Feldenkrais Awareness Through Movement® classes or Functional Integration lessons and whether this modality would be appropriate for you, please contact me using the contact form above right. I will arrange to talk with you via the phone.

Meanwhile stay warm and keep your feet on the ground!

Remember too that there are only 4 classes left before our winter break, so if you want to get ready for winter, now is the time!  Classes end after Dec. 15 class at 250 Bell St., and the regular schedule resumes Tues. Jan 8, 2019.

See you soon!
Carole